Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: getting started

  1. #1
    Inactive Member lyonlag's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 16th, 2004
    Posts
    4
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I recently bought a Super 8 camera, and am trying to get started making my first film. I have some basic questions I know some of you can answer.
    What is a stop (f-stop), what does it mean to push the film during processing (and likewise, what are the effects)? Also, I cannot decide whether I should buy stock and worry about processing after I shoot, or buy the film in a package deal where the price of process and transfer are included. ANy suggestions?

  2. #2
    Inactive Member rollemfilm's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 1st, 2000
    Posts
    437
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi Scott,

    Well you need to start by getting some basic photography knowledge. You can go to any book store/library and pick up a "basic photography" book.

    This will explain f stops, depth of field, shutter speeds, black & white processing...

    Aside from basic photography books I always recommend:

    "The Filmmakers Handbook" a comprehensive guide for the digital age, by S. Archer & E. Pincus.
    This book is published by Plume.

    Instead of going into a long explanation here, you can also search this site and other filmmmaking sites, there are many articles that cover the basic ideas.

    Another book that is real important is:

    "Grammer Of The Edit" by Roy Thompson, published by Focal.

    You might want to spend some time doing some still photography. Including some home processing.
    Even if you just learn how to process negatives you will gain a great deal of understading of how real film works. You can push your own black & white film and see first hand the results.

    Sounds like a lot of work? It is. But it is worth it!!

    Hope this helps...

  3. #3
    Hostboard Member AaronDelatorre's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 5th, 2023
    Location
    Vlietlaan 135, 2291 AZ Wateringen
    Posts
    84
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: getting started

    Learning the technical side of Super 8 cameras and f-stops is a great way to start, as those old film textures are truly unique. While I was researching vintage filming techniques in Greece, a friend from my crew told me to visit play jonny whenever I need a break from the edit suite. It is a brilliant way to blow off some steam and actually win some extra cash. I always make sure to use the Greek player rewards!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •